Friday, November 23, 2007

You finally got me.

update 11/24 11:30am: The fire alarm went off in my building, and the fire engine was here. Fortunately there was nothing for concern. Still half of Saturday and Sunday to go before the week ends!

update 11/23 7:30pm: ICICI just called. They said, I'm a NRI so am not allowed to hold the resident savings a/c or transact my DMAT as per RBI regulations. I need to close down my accounts in India.

original post --

God, if you are reading this, are you happy now?

The past week has been eventful, but not for happy reasons.

This past Tuesday it was the first snow of the season. The roads were slippery again. And while Richard and me were driving through the West Lake Dr, I recalled the bad memory of that traffic light. When i allegedly touched (not even sure if i touched!) the car of this Russian female who sued me for $450 later. Snowy days in CT has spelled trouble for me, and history was soon to repeat itself. 10 minutes later, at a speed of about 70+mph, our car skid on the snow and took a 450 degree turn (yes 1 full round and more) and finally stopped after hitting the side barrier. Thankfully there was no car behind us or on our sides, otherwise things would have become bad.
As you could have guessed from the size of this post, things didn't end there (wink!). After making sure that we were alright and the car was drivable, we decided to drive the same car to office. As soon as we reached a speed of about 50mph, the car spun again. This time about 180 degrees and we end up facing incoming traffic behind us. Richard, quickly drove us off road before things got uglier.

Those that drive in US know how embarrassing it is when you get honked. Nobody honked on us on Tuesday since there was no one behind us when we skid. Come Thursday, I was forced to honk not once but twice, on two different occasions, and that too on the freeway driving at 70mph. Why? Because the drivers on my right lane decided to overtake the car in front of them by shifting to the left side. And yes, I was right next to them on their left lane. I am sure they didn't mean to push me off road, but God, twice in a single day?? They changed lanes half-way and then when i honked loud and hard they realized they were on collission course. At such high speeds, a slight touch can spell disaster.

Hmm...a cat has 9 lives, I figured I only have 4. This morning, i was all upbeat and ready to shop for thanksgiving! I was in Circuit city, where I found this really cool 22" widescreen LCD monitor for only $160. Great! Its bigger and better than my T.V ;-)
But, when i came out of Circuit City I finally gave up. God - you win.
My car was hit by someone in the parking lot, and they did not even leave a note (I prolly got one of those junkies that America is full of). They just ran away. Circuit City has no video cameras in the parking lot, so we can't catch them now.










Hmm....Shuchi's camera got stolen and was later found broken in not-working condition - it was my first gift to her. I skipped MIT and Tuck application deadlines, as I haven't been able to cope up with office and the applications.

I don't want to know what else can go wrong. I just hope they don't happen.

No comments: